As a first-time user, you would think of the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. WordPress.com and WordPress.org both are different. In WordPress.com – “com” stands for “commercial.” And in WordPress.org – “org” stands for “organization.” both are blogging platforms. For beginners, it is a bit confusing to choose the correct one between them. It is crucial to choose the right platform for you to become successful online.
WordPress.com is one of the most popular web publishing software, made in Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP) based in Structured Query Language (MYSQL). It is all-in-one; you can build your website or blog. A content management system (CMS) is a tool that helps to manage website and blog flexibly for first-time users. You can manage your featured website using a web browser without learning any code. WordPress.com is the right choice if you are interested in blogging.
Advantages of WordPress.com
There are a few advantages of WordPress; it will help you to understand more clearly.
- It offers you 3Gb of free space. If you need additional space, you need to choose a paid plan.
- WordPress comes with many free themes and 22,000+ plugins.
- WordPress.com is stable and innovative; it will take care of updates and backups.
- WordPress is pre-installed with a secure sockets layer (SSL) certificate.
- WordPress has a clean structure, and it helps the website to load faster.
- WordPress is very Responsive. The Content Management System (CMS) in WordPress will help your website adjust to the device from which it is accessed, like a tablet, computer, or smartphone.
Disadvantages of WordPress.com
There are a few disadvantages to know about WordPress.
- It is not possible to place ads and also cannot sell space for ads on your site. If you are a free user, you can only monetize your site through email offers or affiliate marketing. If you operate a high traffic site, you can try their advertising program called WordAds to share revenue with them. It can be possible only for business and premium plan users.
- The free plan offers only a few themes and customization options, but business and premium plan users can select more themes and custom CSS.
- For free and personal plans, you cannot use any tracking tools like Google Analytics. But business plan users can install Google Analytics.
- Free WordPress.com websites appear with a WordPress.com branded domain (e.g. https://yourwebsite.wordpress.com ). To get a custom domain, you will need a paid plan (e.g. https://yourwebsite.com).
- If your site violates its terms and conditions, they can delete your site at any time.
- For free plan users, there are no E-commerce features.
- It is impossible to create membership websites with WordPress.com.
The WordPress.com hosting platform offers only a few features for free, personal, and premium plans. For more advanced features, you need to upgrade to the business plan or the VIP plan.
WordPress.org is website software that is open-source and is free to use. It has a DIY solution. Before you launch your site, you need web hosting and a domain name. It is also called self-hosted WordPress.WordPress.org is considered the best website builder.
Advantages of WordPress.org
There are a few advantages of WordPress.org, which will help you.
- WordPress.org is free and easy to operate, and it an open-source.
- If you are a WordPress.org user, you can control your website and its data.
- You have options to use free, customized and paid WordPress plugins for your website.
- An interesting fact is that you have an option to customize the design of your site according to your requirements. You can use a premium or free WordPress theme.
- You can generate revenue by publishing ads on your website or blog.
- For tracking, you can use tools like Google Analytics.
- You also can create and sell membership sites and build an online community around your site.
Disadvantages of WordPress.org
- You need to purchase the hosting for your website. The cost must be $3 to $10 per month. You have to pay more for the hosting services, if there is an increase in the visitors to your site.
- WordPress doesn’t have an automatic update option. You have to update your site by clicking the update button.
- WordPress.org cost depends on factors like the site you create, like blog, membership site, E-commerce, and more.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are blogging platforms, but both are different.
WordPress.com is all-in-one; you can build your website or blog. It contains limited features for free users and more features for paid users.
WordPress.org is open source and free to use. It is easy to handle, and it holds many features. You need to purchase the hosting for your website.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org have their importance, so you need to choose the right platform to become successful online.