Search functionality is the key feature that any interested user can search for a specific product, service, or category. Search criteria should not displease the user with a simple message conveying that no items were found for any search keywords entered. Instead, provide a meaningful and convincing answer so that the user would be interested in staying and performing something additional to derive the intended results.
The on-site search criteria in a website should not be limited to the basic intent but should incorporate features that can perform user convincing and desired functionalities.
Most E-commerce websites have an in-built feature for performing a search. Along with designing the user-friendly navigational flow of any website, it is also necessary to define proper search criteria.
Users give some keywords in the search box based on which Google validates the defined criteria to display the search results. The content quality, the keywords, video and audio integration are vital in deriving the search results.
SEO is the field promoting business operations online by displaying the relevant results in the top position. On-site search features aid SEO building.
How to make the Search experience more effective?
1. Ensure to integrate the search feature in the header of the screen, and the search box must be sufficiently big enough to see the entered text.
2. Ensure to place the search box on all the relevant pages simultaneously as not all the pages would have the pertinent information to incorporate the search feature, such as the landing pages and check-out pages.
3. Give information to the user about what the search field does and specify the text to know the search field’s intent instead of leaving the text field empty with a Go button
4. Must provide some suitable text in the search box initiating the user to gear towards entering the keywords. And, this could be either product ‘code,’ ‘brand’ or ‘what are you looking for.’
5. System should derive results either by clicking the enter button when the user ends typing a text or clicks on the search button
6. Use’s view of entering keywords could differ from the website’s perspective, and users might make a mistake in typing the keywords. However, the poor performance of the system to derive the relevant results cannot be excused.
For instance, the user prefers to search results for white caps and types the phrase caps white. The system should not be inefficient to say that no results exist. But, it should derive the results for white caps and ask the user to search instead for caps white. This view will always find user satisfaction.
7. Instead of displaying the message ‘No results are found’, focus on handling empty searches to be more relevant. The possible options could be to display the All categories page or display an error message, and prevent users from searching without any keywords.
8. From the very first letter that is typed, the possible suggestions should be shown. Thus, the search speed is accelerated. For the particular keyword types, the category needs to be displayed and implement a predictive search.
9. You have entered search criteria and found that results did not match the entered keywords. Instead of just displaying the message that no results are found, trying conveying that the exact results are not found. Display the partially matched results. Providing even the contact number serves as the best option.
Marketing is key for business growth. Site search functionality must be more enhanced to improve user engagement. The search experience could turn engaging with a perfect site search feature. Experience the rich site search with ONPASSIVE”S O-Create, a perfect website builder with an enhanced search feature.